Check Your Feed with SIFT (the four moves - Stop, Investigate, Find, Trace)
- Take a breath, check your reaction, pause, re-evaluate.
- Ask yourself if you are certain the information is true.
- Don't re-post, use, or share it until you know.
- Look at the source. Who created the information?
- Look into who is behind the post and think about why they might post that information.
- Try looking in Wikipedia or on a fact checking site for the name, company, organization, story, or publisher. Or Google it!
- Learn about the expertise, education, and/or the agenda of the producer of the information.
FIND BETTER COVERAGE:
- If the checking the source brings you to a questionable place, try looking in other, more reliable sources for similar information.
- Look beyond the first few results.
- Check in at least 3 different places.
- If the information shows up in several reliable places, it is very likely accurate.
TRACE CLAIMS, QUOTES & MEDIA TO THE ORIGINAL CONTENT & CONTEXT:
- Trace the content back to the original source.
- Check the full context of the information -- was something left out or not included?